Search This Blog

Friday, July 4, 2014

1950

The words of Anna Schumann are word-for-word her own.  If you notice any discrepancies or misspellings of names, please send me an email and I will correct them right away.

Property of Anna Schumann

April 1, 1950 - Saturday.  Bill was learning to walk.  Our 1st trip out west to West Yellowstone.  Nellie and Cecil, Ed and Evelyn, Clarence and June, Charley and Valley, and Harland and I played cards and had lunch and an enjoyable evening till 3:30am.

April 2, 1950 - Palm Sunday we went to church and put the border on Carol Ann's bedroom.  Betty and Carol took Bill and Charllote for a buggy ride.

April 3, 1950 - Monday.  Mom's birthday.  I washed clothes, went to Beaver Dam, got 2 shades for the bedroom and Carol Ann a new hat and dress material.

April 4, 1950 - Tuesday.  Ironed all day and put curtains up before supper and went to church at 7:15pm.  

April 5, 1950 - Wednesday.  Florence Martin was over in the afternoon and I started Billy's spring coat.

April 6, 1950 - Thursday.  Finished Billy's coat and fixed Carol Ann's suit for Easter.  I went to Dr. Leatherberry's in the afternoon.

April 7, 1950 - Good Friday.  Went shopping at Beaver Dam and was it cold and windy.

April 8, 1950 - Saturday.  We finished our cleaning and got our dinner ready for Easter Sunday.  Andrea and Elaine were over in the afternoon to look at Calico kittens.

April 9, 1950 - Easter Sunday.  We went to church and wore our winter coats as there was snow on the ground and it was 24 degrees.  

April 10, 1950 - Monday.  Today was a lazy day.  It rained.  I went over to Evelyn's and helped her paper the front bedroom upstairs in the afternoon.

April 11, 1950 - Tuesday.  Sis took care of Bill this A.M., so I went by Evelyn's and we papered the rest of the bedroom and worked on the bath and walked while we finished the upstairs.  In the evening, Florence and Sid and Jr Harland and I went to Hustisford to see Chain Lightning with Humphrey Bogart.  It was very good.

April 12, 1950 - Wednesday.  Harland's birthday.  I baked a white cake.  The kids gave him a box of cigars and I, a cigarette lighter.  Ronson's.

April 13, 1950 - Thursday.  It was 24 degrees above.  Gee, it was cold and windy.  I'm ironing today.  We're invited to Florence's for supper.

April 14, 1950 - Friday.  We finished papering over by Evelyn's May 4th.

April 29, 1950 - Carol Ann got her permanent.

May 5, 1950 - Friday.  We went to Beaver Dam shopping and Billy had his first hair cut at the barber shop and he was so good.

May 7, 1950 - Sunday.  We had company in the afternoon.  Alma and Minnie and Richard were here and then Jack and Georgia came.

May 8, 1950 - Monday.  Jack and Georgia, Ed and Evelyn, Harland and & went to Beaver Dam to see Riding High with Bing Crosby.  It was very good.

May 9, 1950 - Tuesday.  We were invited over to Heid's for supper and played cards in the evening. 

May 10, 1950 - Wednesday.  Jack and Georgia left for Minneapolis this morning and we had a nice visit.

May 11, 1950 - Thursday.  I ordered my kitchen rug at Sears for $13.74.

May 12, 1950 - Friday.  We drove to Waupun to see deep freezers.  Then we went to Heid's to see about our vacation together.  Then Billy tried to show off by standing all alone and he started to walk.  Gee, it was cute.  Marion, Gush Wille and Bill Wille family was there, but they aren't going on vacation with us, the way they talked tonite.  

May 13, 1950 - Saturday.  Not much happened today.  I ordered my deep freeze.

May 14, 1950 - Sunday.  Mother's Day.  We started out the day by Sis and I and Jr went to communion.  When we came home from church, we packed us a picnic lunch and went to Portage cat fishing and had a nice time.

May 15, 1950 - Monday.  I washed clothes and mended socks from 2 weeks and sewed 3 rugs of my carpet rag rugs.

May 16, 1950 - Tuesday.  I ironed and mended/sewed Florence's little curtains so she could pick it up tonite.  Charles Crosby had another stroke today.  

Not much happened between now and May 26th when Evelyn had her gall, appendix and Dr. Heath found a tumor on the womb, so he took care of all three right away.  She was pretty sick the first 3 days.  She was operated on Friday and got up on Sunday for 15 minutes and on Friday, June 2nd, she came home.

June 1, 1950 - Thursday.  I got my freezer.

June 2, 1950 - Friday.  I washed clothes for us and Heids today.  Only had 67 diapers.  42 for Charlotte.  The rest were Billy's.  It rained and I had a heck of a time drying the clothes.

June 3, 1950 - Saturday.  I went to the dentist for my lower teeth today and the kids had school today because they had off on Monday.  Ethel Lehman told me they had their baby's brother started.   

June 4, 1950 - Sunday.  Harland, Bill and I went to Montello pickerel fishing, but didn't get any.  Not even a strike.

June 6, 1950 - Tuesday.  I ironed and went over to Evelyn's.  She went to the doctor as she had so much pain and she ate too much ham or it didn't agree with her.

June 7, 1950 - Wednesday.  I had a nice birthday.  I got cards from everyone.  Nancy's birthday is the same day, so I had them over for supper and we had a nice time.  

June 8, 1950 - Thursday.  Harland and I went to Fox Lake fishing tonight and we got 14 bullheads and I caught 2 walleyes.  One weighed 4 lbs.  The other was not quite 3 lbs.  Gee, I was nervous.

June 10, 1950 - Saturday.  I gave Nancy Gray a "Toni" (permanent) today and polished up the car and dusted up the house.

June 11, 1950 - Sunday.  We went to Portage picking asparagus.  Had a nice afternoon.

June 12, 1950 - Monday.  I washed clothes and mended all our socks.  Carol Ann ironed in the afternoon.

June 13, 1950 - Tuesday.  I ironed this A.M. and after dinner I finished Carol Ann's white blouse, blue skirt and her summer pajamas.

June 14, 1950 - Wednesday.  I cleaned house this A.M. and I went back with Harland and went up to Kachelski and gave Violet and Marlene each a Toni.  They turned out nice.

June 15, 1950 -  Thursday. Started Carol Ann's
 
peddle pushers.

June 16, 1950 - Friday.  Didn't feel too good this A.M.  Backache, stomach cramps and the curse.  So, I went to bed for an hour or so.  Then after dinner, I went downtown and after the mail came, I went to Juneau to get Carol Anne's glasses.

June 17, 1950 - Saturday.  We went to Beaver Dam shopping.  I got Harland a nylon shirt for Father's Day.  Willis' went to Lake Lucerne for a week's vacation.  It was only 45 degrees above this A.M.

June 27, 1950 - Tuesday.  Carol Ann gave me a Toni and it sure turned out good.

July 3, 1950 - Harland, Jr and I went to Brox Bridge and caught 43 bullheads.

July 4, 1950 - We left Carol Ann, Jr, Nancy, and Sissy out to Crystal Lake Beach swimming and Nellie, Cecil and 'Har' and I and Billy went in the pasture back of Lewis Turck's fishing.  Nellie and Cecil caught some 30 bullheads and Daddy caught most of our 33 because I took care of Billy.

July 12, 1950 - Wednesday.  I gave Carol Ann a Toni today and finished Florence's sewing and backed 2 pies and a cake.  In the evening, Margaret had a shower on Florence.  She received some nice gifts.

July 13, 1950 - Thursday.  We are cleaning house today before we go to the cottage.

July 19 - 26, 1950 - We were on vacation at Lake Katherine and had a wonderful week.  Heids, Gust Wille and Family and us.  Gee, we had a nice time.




August 1, 1950 - Today is Joan's birthday.  I sent her $1.00 so she could get what she wants.

August 5, 1950 - Heid's, Grays and us celebrated Sis' 4th birthday and our 17th wedding anniversary.  They were all over to our place for supper.  I had my first corsage of yellow roses.  Nellie, Cecil, Harland and I went to Beaver Dam by Lester Hackett.

August 20, 1950 - We went out by Alfred's and he wasn't home, so we went over to Schwandt's, but didn't go in as Howard was sick and didn't know what it was.

August 23, 1950 - They took Howard to Fond du Lac as he had polio.

August 25, 1950 - Howard passed away at 9:20am at 16 years of age.

August 27, 1950 - We went to Reeseville to see Sophie Baker who passed away in Chicago and was buried in Lowell cemetery on August 28th.

August 29, 1950 - Today is Howard's funeral and such a sad funeral.  I washed in the A.M.

August 30, 1950 - I canned a bushel of tomatoes and tried to dry clothes in the house as it rained all week.

August 31, 1950 - I and Sis ironed and we cleaned the house and I canned 7 pints of corn and 3 quarts of tomato preserves.

September 1, 1950 - Have been cleaning house all this month and I'm about done.

September 28, 1950 - Thursday.  Joan was over this afternoon.  I was sewing on my drapes for the front room.  Joan cut my hair a little.

October 1, 1950 - Sunday.  Grays were here for dinner and supper in the evening.  We went to the show: Ma and Pa Kettle Goes to New York.

October 4, 1950 - Wednesday.  I have my washing, ironing and house cleaned, so today I'm going to start Carol Ann's plaid jumper.

October 14, 1950 - Saturday.  Jack and Georgia and Mom surprised us tonite when we were playing shuffleboard.  When we were done, we came home and got a lunch.  Jack and Georgia left October 16, a Monday.

October 17, 1950 - Mom, Harland and I went to a show in Beaver Dam.

October 18, 1950 - Mom went back to Minneapolis.  Gee, it's been nice weather all this month.

November 1, 1950 - Sunday.  We went to church.

November 3, 1950 - We went to communion.

November 7, 1950 - We killed 4 of our old hens and I canned them on November 8th.

November 10, 1950 - I took care of Jeff today while Margaret, Florence and Raymond went to Milwaukee.

...Haven't wrote in here all winter.  Not much happened all winter.  Every Saturday nite we played shuffleboard up until January 6th.  Then Ed started fighting with Harland.
...Sissy Gray was in the hospital for over a week.  She hasn't went to school since and probably won't finish the school year out as she has a nervous condition known as 'St. Vitus's Dance'.




No comments:

Post a Comment